Friday, February 17, 2012

Support...


In my 7th week of my lifestyle change, I want to talk about something that has come to mean everything to me. The support of my friends & family.

The reason this means so much to me is because I am the girl who cried ‘wolf’. You may not understand that, so let me explain.

The last time I was ‘serious’ about losing weight was back when I was 21 years old. That was the last time I really lost weight – meaning over 20 pounds. That January to May, I lost right at 30 pounds. I was just starting to feel good about myself and then I de-railed. I don’t remember what happened that made me de-rail. Maybe I got cocky. Knowing myself, that’s a good possibility.

Since then, I have tried to lose weight at least once a year – every year. So for almost 10 years I’ve tried to lose weight. I’ve never gotten over the 15-20 pound mark, heck I may not even have gotten that far. To be honest with you, I don’t remember. It’s all kind of a blur. It’s been years of me half-assing it, trying to make it seem like I cared.

In reality I didn’t care, I just didn’t want to be seen as that fat girl who didn’t do anything to change her situation. In hindsight, all those stops and starts were really annoying. I would tell everyone I was going to lose weight & I’d be successful for a few weeks, then something would happen and I would give up. I really am disappointed in myself about those stops & starts. If I would have never stopped, I would already be where I want to be.

Regardless though, my friends and family would always be behind me. No matter if I lost 5 pounds and then I was done or not.

Something finally clicked in my head though this January. I can’t do this just because I want to. This is work, this is hard work. I decided to tell everybody that I know what I’m doing. I’m blessed that a group of friends that I work with decided to do this with me. They are the same ones who have had my back every time I’ve decided to this. The difference is this time, I am in this. So are they!

Without the support of those around me, I know that I couldn’t do this. One of my friends told me it’s my willpower doing this and I’m doing it alone. That’s not the case in my mind. I feel like we’re all part of a sorority, willing to help each other when we need it. I need help walking. I absolutely hate it, but I love the little bit of exercise it gives me. There are some days that I feel like I can’t go on. Those days my friends are in front of me, encouraging me to continue going. There are days when I feel like I have made no progress. My husband is there reminding me I’ve lost almost 20 pounds.

This is not something I’m doing alone. I have a village. I am truly thankful for every one of the people supporting me. I read every comment left & I appreciate every kind word said. It means everything to me and keeps me going!

------

Two things this week have been amazing! I was able to move my steering wheel ALL THE way down. I haven't done that in I don't know how long. My belly was either in the way or it touched it. It doesn't do that anymore. And.....the 3 ladies I am basically losing weight with at work have done awesome as well. Since we all started this together (keep in mind one started in late November)..we've lost 78 pounds. I am extremely proud of us!


2 comments:

  1. That is wonderful that you have such a nice group around you to support and keep you going. Don't give up. If you should slide just start all over the next day and you can make it a lifetime change for good health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that you are having great success with your weight loss. I support you 100%.

    ReplyDelete